Skip to main content

The beginning of a blog's transformation, Part 2_May 2015

Hello friend,

I would like to blog tonight about one interesting change, for teachers, in how we approach lesson planning, and that is in regards to the Common Core (link here), but more specifically I would like to address the connection to College and Career Readiness.

This is a big part of the Common Core, and one that I quite like; here's a link to our State Dept. of Education's webpage on this.  I teach in Massachusetts (USA), and DESE stands for the "Department of Elementary and Secondary Education," which is a fancy way to say the Mass. DOE (its old name) ... the Mass Dept. of Education.

What I quite like about the inclusion of standards connecting to College and Career Readiness is that it keeps teachers focused on what kinds of skills and knowledge students will need as they enter college, university or a career.  I enjoy helping my students think about their futures, and inspiring them to believe that anything is possible.  If I could think back to my own adolescence, I honestly can't remember if anyone ever told me "you can be whatever you want to be; you can be a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer, whatever... it is possible."  I share this now, because I remember thinking "I could never be a doctor or lawyer... I'm not super smart."  For the adults reading this, I'm sure you can think of a doctor or lawyer you've met in your life, and thought "gosh, how did he ever become a doctor ...?!"  It may seem funny, but it's so true... I have met a few professionals who I realized weren't fantastic in their fields, but somehow someone believed in them enough to say "You can be a doctor..." "You can be a lawyer."  In my ELL classes, at the high school level, I have consequently made a conscious decision to regularly connect my lessons and units to how my students can go above and beyond their own expectations, goals, and dreams.  We do lots of language and grammar, and reading and writing in ELL, and so I often talk about how they could easily study linguistics at the college level, and easily become linguists, or college professors who study language and linguistics.  Once an ELL, always an ELL, I say ...but in the most positive light of course... meaning that you will never lose that understanding of the Universal Grammar in your first language, and how you have come to understand how we communicate, in the four domains of Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening.

Finally, let me share that I think all teachers can find time to talk about students' possible future career paths, so that students can start to chart a course or at least consider possible options.  Furthermore, with new and emerging fields, students do in fact need many 21st Century Skills.

Thanks for reading!
Please share, re-tweet or comment.  :-)

P.S.  Oh, and just for fun, here's a fun picture of me, on a recent family vacation, and on a Florida Everglades Gator Air-boat Ride (see the gator behind me!?) ... :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doesn't a blog only make sense when others will read it?

Hi, Is anyone reading this...? Really...? (crickets...) You see... I don't mean to sound so lame, but I'm torn. I feel like I'm supposed to contribute to the educational blogosphere, and yet I have three followers. Please... cue giggle (Yes, I want you to smile and giggle). I had these ideal thoughts about what it may be like to blog and learn from others online, and yet - I feel quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, there must be 2 billion blogs out there, and everyone is pretty busy with life, so should I continue to blog? Please - somebody leave a comment...! And say, Yes, Mr. Chiocca, please contribute. Education and the future of public education depends on people like you, who care and want our kids to learn as much as they can in each grade level. Thanks for reading! Mr. Chiocca

information, Open House & MCAS, March 2017

Burlington High School Open House & MCAS Information OPEN HOUSE :   Burlington High School will be hosting its annual Open House on Thursday, March 16, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. This event provides you with an opportunity to meet with teachers and view the Art Exhibit and Fashion Show.  Administrators will also be available throughout the evening to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you on the 16th. MCAS TESTING : This year’s 10 th Grade English Language Arts MCAS testing will take place from March 21-23.  Additional MCAS will be held on May 16 and 17 (Math, Grade 10 only) and on June 5 and 6 (Science, Grade 9 only). MCAS TESTING SCHEDULE :   Please note that there will not be a delayed opening for the MCAS Exam.  Buses will pick up students at their regularly scheduled time.  Homeroom will begin at 7:30 a.m., with dismissal 2:00 p.m..  Testing will begin after homeroom at 7:40 a.m. If you have any questions or concerns abo

My first clubhouse room!

I'm officially a moderator on Clubhouse! Yay! Have you gotten on the app?  It's still new, and in development, so it's only available on Apple iPhones, and iPads, etc.  It's still "invite only" and they did this on purpose, but I don't think it was meant to be exclusive, like a private club, rather because they are still in the "Beta" phase of growing, and developing, and didn't want to have millions join too fast, and thus overload the system.  Once you're on it, they you realize the value of it.  It's cool how the conversations in these "rooms" are generally based around a specific niche idea/ industry/ topic/ question.  There are rooms with thousands of listeners, and then there are smaller rooms which allow you to make new friends, and to be "brought up onto the stage," to speak.  It's audio only, and only Twitter and Instagram are linked in your profile, so it seems pretty clean and neat.  I like how there