Skip to main content

Love my Mom! Giving a big shout-out to my wonderful Mom!

Mom!  Love her!  She's the best.  If you've had the pleasure of knowing my mom, then you know she is funny, clever, bright, caring, fun, authentic, humble, and kind.  Here, in this adorable photo, she's playing softball for the company team (Pan Am Airways, circa 1975).  She was probably the best female athlete in her high school, and I still remember the golden trophy she got, which was for something like "Most Amazing Young Woman at Brighton High School:  Athlete, Scholar & Humanitarian."  She got her B.S. in Zoology from the University of New Hampshire, while also enjoying her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, where she met her long-time friend, Natalie Jacobsen (long-time host, WCVB, Channel 5 - Boston).  After UNH, she then liked the idea of travelling the world, and so became a stewardess.  Yes, that's what they called them back in the late 60's and 70's.  I learned how flying was very special back then.  It was a real treat.  In first class, they had table cloths, real silverware, glassware, and hot, delicious food (with 3-4 courses!).  She looked so pretty and glamorous in that pillbox hat, the white gloves, and the classic blue Pan Am uniform.  She could converse in a few world languages, and shared with me great stories, from her travels through Africa, Asia, and Europe.  I also got to travel quite a bit, too, when I was a boy, and young man, and it helped broaden my horizons, through the exposure to new and different languages, peoples, and cultures.  She met many interesting people, from movie stars to famous athletes.  She was so supportive of me, during all of my singing, sports, and theatre.  She volunteered with other parents at lots of school functions, and was always so very much "in my corner."  Even til now, she's still so supportive.  She was my campaign treasurer when I ran for office, and did you know she was my editor for both of my books!?  Yes, she's always been good with words, with writing, and language.  My books wouldn't have been as good without her brilliant advice on word choice, readability, and syntax.  She's brilliant, worldly, wise and cosmopolitan, but also down-to-earth, easy-going, fun and funny.  Love you Mom!  [book tour post, day 19, 1/19/21] 




   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doesn't a blog only make sense when others will read it?

Hi, Is anyone reading this...? Really...? (crickets...) You see... I don't mean to sound so lame, but I'm torn. I feel like I'm supposed to contribute to the educational blogosphere, and yet I have three followers. Please... cue giggle (Yes, I want you to smile and giggle). I had these ideal thoughts about what it may be like to blog and learn from others online, and yet - I feel quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, there must be 2 billion blogs out there, and everyone is pretty busy with life, so should I continue to blog? Please - somebody leave a comment...! And say, Yes, Mr. Chiocca, please contribute. Education and the future of public education depends on people like you, who care and want our kids to learn as much as they can in each grade level. Thanks for reading! Mr. Chiocca

information, Open House & MCAS, March 2017

Burlington High School Open House & MCAS Information OPEN HOUSE :   Burlington High School will be hosting its annual Open House on Thursday, March 16, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. This event provides you with an opportunity to meet with teachers and view the Art Exhibit and Fashion Show.  Administrators will also be available throughout the evening to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you on the 16th. MCAS TESTING : This year’s 10 th Grade English Language Arts MCAS testing will take place from March 21-23.  Additional MCAS will be held on May 16 and 17 (Math, Grade 10 only) and on June 5 and 6 (Science, Grade 9 only). MCAS TESTING SCHEDULE :   Please note that there will not be a delayed opening for the MCAS Exam.  Buses will pick up students at their regularly scheduled time.  Homeroom will begin at 7:30 a.m., with dismissal 2:00 p.m..  Testing will begin after homeroom at 7:40 a.m. If you have any questions or concerns abo

My first clubhouse room!

I'm officially a moderator on Clubhouse! Yay! Have you gotten on the app?  It's still new, and in development, so it's only available on Apple iPhones, and iPads, etc.  It's still "invite only" and they did this on purpose, but I don't think it was meant to be exclusive, like a private club, rather because they are still in the "Beta" phase of growing, and developing, and didn't want to have millions join too fast, and thus overload the system.  Once you're on it, they you realize the value of it.  It's cool how the conversations in these "rooms" are generally based around a specific niche idea/ industry/ topic/ question.  There are rooms with thousands of listeners, and then there are smaller rooms which allow you to make new friends, and to be "brought up onto the stage," to speak.  It's audio only, and only Twitter and Instagram are linked in your profile, so it seems pretty clean and neat.  I like how there