Skip to main content

White Privilege. Yes, it was on display for all to see yesterday. Today, 1/7/21, I talked w/ my students.

White Privilege.  Yes, it exists, and it's true, even at the subconscious level.  In Washington D.C., yesterday, on January 6th, 2021, we watched angry white men with guns storm the capitol, and it appears not many of the thousands were beaten, or arrested.  According to CBS News, 52 people were arrested, and 4 people died.  One was a woman shot as she breached the Capitol building.  If it were black men with guns, I'm sure we would have seen many more ... hundreds probably beaten, arrested, and some probably killed.  Even though only 52 people were arrested, the videos online seem to show controlled action by the police.  I saw videos of police pushing back on the protestors; nothing as violent as we saw how black men and women were treated last summer in the national Black Lives Matter protests.  In those videos, we saw lots of police brutality, and violence.  White privilege should be accepted by all as true, and if you don't agree, then you either haven't given the time or effort to consider how it's true, or you're delusional, or intellectually dishonest.  Accepting the truth is important on this path of societal progress.  Accepting the truth in all its ways is part of the story of human progress.  In my 8 years as the Faculty Advisor to our school's African American Student Association, I've had a special honor to be able to support so many students of color.  In the picture I share here, from a few years ago, you can see us on tour of a local college campus.  Thank you to all my current and former students for engaging in thoughtful, intellectual conversations on so many topics, including topics I spoke about today, including white privilege, racism, and systemic racism.  Since I'm an ESL Teacher, I often approach class conversations from the perspective of a basic review of all important terms, concepts and vocabulary.  Today, in class, my students listened well to my review of many important historical pieces that we all should know.  I briefly covered: the almost 300-year story of slavery in America; the Civil War, including common vocab. such as the North (in blue) vs. the South (in gray), and the reasons for the war; then reconstruction and the terror of the KKK; then the segregation in the South (commonly known as Jim Crow); then Brown vs. Board of Ed. and the Civil Rights years.  I covered a lot in this one class review, but it was important, and is important to keep teaching the facts, as we continue to reveal the truth.  I'm hopeful for the future, though, because it seems pretty clear, that with each passing generation, young people can get more exposed to history, through education, and the spread of ideas can only help to enlighten and open the minds of all.  I know that part of my life journey has been to understand my own tendencies, as a white man in America, or  ways of thinking that I learned from a young age.  It's a journey of trying to be anti-racist, and I will continue to try to grow, and change, and understand my own intellectual shortcomings, including any leftover prejudice, and old ways of thinking.  Reflecting on one's own thinking is paramount to overcoming racism.  Join me.  Thank you, Adam Chiocca ~~ book tour post, for today, 1/7/21 ~~  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doesn't a blog only make sense when others will read it?

Hi, Is anyone reading this...? Really...? (crickets...) You see... I don't mean to sound so lame, but I'm torn. I feel like I'm supposed to contribute to the educational blogosphere, and yet I have three followers. Please... cue giggle (Yes, I want you to smile and giggle). I had these ideal thoughts about what it may be like to blog and learn from others online, and yet - I feel quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, there must be 2 billion blogs out there, and everyone is pretty busy with life, so should I continue to blog? Please - somebody leave a comment...! And say, Yes, Mr. Chiocca, please contribute. Education and the future of public education depends on people like you, who care and want our kids to learn as much as they can in each grade level. Thanks for reading! Mr. Chiocca

information, Open House & MCAS, March 2017

Burlington High School Open House & MCAS Information OPEN HOUSE :   Burlington High School will be hosting its annual Open House on Thursday, March 16, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. This event provides you with an opportunity to meet with teachers and view the Art Exhibit and Fashion Show.  Administrators will also be available throughout the evening to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you on the 16th. MCAS TESTING : This year’s 10 th Grade English Language Arts MCAS testing will take place from March 21-23.  Additional MCAS will be held on May 16 and 17 (Math, Grade 10 only) and on June 5 and 6 (Science, Grade 9 only). MCAS TESTING SCHEDULE :   Please note that there will not be a delayed opening for the MCAS Exam.  Buses will pick up students at their regularly scheduled time.  Homeroom will begin at 7:30 a.m., with dismissal 2:00 p.m..  Testing will begin after homeroom at 7:40 a.m. If you have any questions or concerns abo

My first clubhouse room!

I'm officially a moderator on Clubhouse! Yay! Have you gotten on the app?  It's still new, and in development, so it's only available on Apple iPhones, and iPads, etc.  It's still "invite only" and they did this on purpose, but I don't think it was meant to be exclusive, like a private club, rather because they are still in the "Beta" phase of growing, and developing, and didn't want to have millions join too fast, and thus overload the system.  Once you're on it, they you realize the value of it.  It's cool how the conversations in these "rooms" are generally based around a specific niche idea/ industry/ topic/ question.  There are rooms with thousands of listeners, and then there are smaller rooms which allow you to make new friends, and to be "brought up onto the stage," to speak.  It's audio only, and only Twitter and Instagram are linked in your profile, so it seems pretty clean and neat.  I like how there